The official Cataclysm website has updated (after some months) with new information on the Mount Hyjal zone. Head ye here to view the details on the official site. Read that? Good.
It sounds amazing. Really, incredible. Some of the things which caught my eye:
- We’ll be working with Malfurion Stormrage and the Green Dragon Aspect Ysera. We’ve known about Stormrage’s return for some time and I look forward to seeing him ingame, but Ysera is the big news for me. Durkon reveres the dragon aspects, particularly Alexstrasza the Dragonqueen. Amaras on the other hand is a Druid, and a Druid’s power over nature stems from Ysera – not to mention her connection to the emerald dream. Ysera has been sleeping, her consciousness within the emerald dream for some time now, and no-one has been able to wake her or communicate with her from this side. The fact that she walks Azeroth once again is incredibly significant for Druids – perhaps it is related to Stormrage’s return?
- It seems like heavy use will be made of phasing, as players will have the opportunity to “assist in cleansing and healing the nearby forest, ultimately returning the land to its former splendor”.
- We get to see Nordrassil, the World Tree blessed by the dragon aspects. The text suggests that it is even more significant to the wellbeing of Azeroth than previously suspected – “the conflagration would endanger all life on Azeroth”.
- There’s this mention of fractured night-elf leadership. I would assume that with the return of Malfurion Stormrage, he would retake his position as arch-druid resulting in a truly united Night-Elf leadership. Perhaps Fandral Staghelm is unwilling to give up the reins? I fail to see who would support him since Stormrage is a hero (and the first druid) while Staghelm has managed to be incredibly rude to everyone and generally make himself unpopular. Yeah, thanks for the new world tree, Fandral. Pity it’s corrupted and one cannot walk in the forest without being horribly savaged because you didn’t think to consult with the Dragon Aspects that blessed the original world tree. And the whole “Night-Elf Supremacist” thing? Not good. Stormrage is married to the legal head of state, Tyrande Whisperwind and has the army of Cenarius behind him. I don’t really see how Staghelm is able to cause any problems for Darnassus, since he’s managed to piss off pretty much everyone he’s ever met.
- I spent a lot of time in Auberdine and I’m sorry that it’s going to be obliterated in Cataclysm, but Hyjal looks pleasingly Night-elvish: