A Skyrate’s Life is a series of posts reminiscing about my time in the Skyrates roleplaying community, primarily through posting and talking about my remaining RP channel logs.
First thing’s first: Just in case your browser doesn’t support displaying the title attribute for images, the header today is Captain Remy by the most excellent Tommy Chong, as posted in the Skyrates fan-art thread.
Okay, so part 5 it is. No Mahmoth in this entry, so no Mah-quote in the title sadly. Today doesn’t seem terribly remarkable at first glance, but we see a few more hints of Mairi’s upcoming meltdown (see also: end of Part 4) and discover that her waffles genuinely are “glorious, glorious, glorious!”. Also: Pretty much everyone enters through the Skylight and – surprise – we talk about aircraft and navigators. Again…
- Jack Cross: Male fox, yellow (Flight School) faction. Seems to be involved in some kind of story with Tommy Chong.
- Bushido: No DP entry! Apparently has a reputation for explosions.
- Trystero: Male monkey, blue faction. Ninja! Yet another one of Mairi’s suitors. Markus ends up getting quite competitive with him.
- Tommy Chong: Confusingly has no entry in DP, but it doesn’t matter. Tommy Chong is as legendary an individual as Skyrates has ever seen. Anyone who spends an extended amount of time around the Skyrates community will have run into at least one bit of Tommy’s incredible fan-art. In character, he’s a male squirrel with a background as a mercenary and pirate. Most recently, he took over a criminal organisation known as the Iron Crescent, although I’m not entirely sure what he was doing back in 2008. The Iron Crescent may be responsible for designing and manufacturing one of the game’s aircraft, the Barashiki.
- This actually takes place the same day (in reality) as the previous log, 18/07/08. Part 4 was logged at 0300 Zulu – the bar’s evening. This one is around 1700 and covers morning and afternoon. I have another one recorded at 0300 on 19/07, so we effectively have most of an entire day in the R&P.
- How exactly I managed to log everything before the power failure is a mystery to me. I guess I must’ve been constantly copying things over to the log as they happened, because there was no lurker bot in those days.
- I’ve just taken delivery of my Vengeance which I am completely obsessed about. I loved my Vengeance. Apparently, so did pretty much everyone else – Zekkass had just acquired one and Markus was a well known Veng pilot. The Vengeance is well known for being a twin-hull aircraft with the second hull being just autocannon. It also features a crazy steam-gas hybrid engine which I spend the next few posts working out.
- Unfortunately, I have no idea what Tommy and Jack’s story was up to now, or where it went from here – only that most of it didn’t happen while I was about.
Today’s chat log below, as always! For previous entries in this series, navigate here.
A Skyrate’s Life is a self-indulgent series of posts reminiscing about my time in the Skyrates roleplaying community, primarily through posting and talking about my remaining RP channel logs.
After the excitement, adventure and really wild things of the last entry, it seems like we’re back to normal today (normal being a relative term of course). We’re back to conversation rather than shooting – although the main topic of conversation is the shooting, naturally. We also see the return of Zekkass, who I pounce upon as if she’s the only sane person in the vicinity (likely true) and the introduction of Josiah, who shoots me.
I think I want to title every post in this series with a Mahmoth quote from now on.
- Clio: Female cat, newcomer to the R&P. Who’s playing Clio?
- Josiah: Male giraffe, Green faction. At this stage he’s just out of Flight School, and this looks like his first time here.
- Phedre Spitfire: Female arctic fox. Now here’s a confusing one. DP has an entry for “Phédre Spitfire”, and her Skybrary article notes that she has acquired some infamy due to the acts of her sister who assumed her identity. Phédre was an important member of Red faction. Who was THIS Phedre though? Fortunately, the ACTUAL Phedre turned up in Skyrates, so I asked her about it. Turns out that Phedre was killed off before the end of the round, her player unaware that RP is persistent and continues after the end of the round. A very similar looking sister was thus created to replace her.
- Alexandra Borisov: Female fox? While she has no DP entry of her own, she is listed as one of Knappekat’s past crewmembers. It seems reasonable that she’s an alt of Knappekat, doesn’t it?
Unfortunately, “Alexandra Borisov” is one of the randomly assembled crew names that the game gives out, so anyone could have found a crewmember with that name and decided they liked it. Update: Phedre Spitfire confirms that she’s an alt of Knappe, and that she’s a fox. Thanks, Phedre!
- Athrawes: No entry in DP. I can determine that he’s male from his emotes, but nothing else.
- HK-47: Sigh…
- Okay, so it turns out that Ennia being shot the previous day wasn’t the ONLY excitement. It seems like someone (Silura, apparently) tried to shoot Ellington inside the bar earlier. Busy day! I seem to have been physically present for this event because I describe it later on, but for some unknown reason I didn’t log any of it.
- Mahmoth called me ‘Webling’! This pleased me.
- Somewhere before the start of this, Markus changes the dressing on his injury (sustained in the previous evening’s violence). This is what causes Clio to pass out. He apparently dozes off for a while after this.
- We finally find out just what it is that Markus has been working on for the past few entries! We also discover that Phedre has had some prior association with Ennia’s would-be assassin – according to Mah “th’bugger tried t’rip th’tavern an age’r so ago’n took th’Phe.”
- This entry had a little bit of strangeness and some outright trolling. I’ve abused my editorial privilege and stripped the trolling out completely – it wasn’t even interesting. Mistakes are left in, even my own. Especially my own! The strangeness? That, I left in. We’re not even getting started, yet…
- This log itself is in excess of nine thousand words long, number fans. It took bloody ages to put the formatting in, line by line – hence the delay in getting this entry up.
Today’s chat log is past the cut below! For previous entries in this series, direct your Internet conveyances here.